The Elders in our district, our ward (8 missionaries!) Elders Jimenez, Steadmen, Bautista, Fatheringham, Turner, Meyers, (in front) Hna Davis, Johnson
This week has been CRAZY! It’s been 10 days since p-day so we are exhausted! And it feels like everything happened this week, yet I have hardly any time to write this week!
- A missionary died
- We ate a lot of double dinners
- We made a cake with a blind woman on her birthday
- Our investigators told us they are still going to the Catholic church on Saturdays but then they didn’t come to church
- A random less active not on the ward list came to church with his girlfriend
- We started teaching the girlfriend, her teenage daughters
- A family wanted a blessing for their cousin in Santa Barbara, who was dying, I got to organize it all since it was a Sunday, meaning the mission office wasn’t open. She then died the next day after getting her blessing.
- Our ride for the memorial service cancelled last minute, we had to figure out how to get there with no time (our car for emergencies was used by an English Elder with a collapsed lung, who was in the hospital, but it got returned in the end)
- We went to the Memorial service
- We met people who had just come back from a funeral, we were able to testify about the plan of salvation to them
- H Davis’ tire popped again, it took forever to fix
- We went to the temple today
- There is no time to do anything!! We haven’t gone shopping yet and we have no food, we probably won’t go today, we’ll starve (JK)!
It has been a week of miracles! Seriously.
On Thursday I finished 1 year in my mission and it was an amazing day! We went to our zone meeting in the Rimgrove building! It’s been so long since I was there, I was just so happy to be back and walk in the building, even if it was just for a little while. At the meeting they announced that we’re going to be using facebook to proselyte this month! So don’t be alarmed if you see me on it, I’ll be using my own facebook, talking to people. It’s going to be crazy! We don’t know too many details, but I am super excited for it!
After the meeting, we got back, got on our bikes. We were biking to visit a 17 year old in the ward but we decided to change directions. We went instead to visit a street some English members live on. They told us to talk to their neighbor the day before, we decided to go there. We knocked on the door, the lady Mary wasn’t interested. She said she was mad at God because a few family members had died recently, so she didn’t really feel open to religion. We testified about the plan of salvation, how there is life after death and she can see them again. We read a scripture about how Christ knows what we are going through, said a prayer. After that she accepted missionaries to come back. It was amazing! That is just what the spirit does, it opens people’s hearts! And she said the only day she could do it was a Thursday afternoon, exactly when we went by!
After that we went to visit the 17 year old Estephany. She didn’t really want us to come over because her house was a mess, she had dishes everywhere. Her sink wasn’t working because the drainage system was messed up. That meant a ton of cochroaches were attracted to the food, were coming in through the nasty drains. All of the drains were messed up except for the shower drain. We wanted to help her so we ended up washing the dishes in the shower for over an hour. It was so random but so much fun though. Afterwards she talked all about her biggest doubt, fear which was how she couldn’t forgive her father, she thought it meant God wouldn’t let her progress. We had a powerful lesson about forgiveness, the plan of salvation, and we should have another really amazing one this week.
As we left, we were biking and passed by a guy smoking. We decided to turn back. He told us he wanted help, wants to change his life around. Awesome! That’s exactly what we help people do! So we have a lesson set up for this week. It should be really great!
That night we decided to get pizza for my year mark. We stopped by a pizza hut. As we ordered, H Davis casually mentioned it was my birthday. This led to free breadsticks! We chatted with the workers. H Davis was two seconds from giving the stock boy a mormon.org card but didn’t have any. She gave him a familysearch.org one instead. Turns out he was super into family history, wants to learn about it! Tender mercies. The other lady overheard, wanted a card for our church. It was so exciting! I just love this area!!!